Subtle is Not My Specialty
I posted this on social media not long ago and the response was clear. We have some folks who just don’t do subtle very well. I just happen to be one of them. I’m not subtle. I get it. You have friends…and you have BLUNT friends. So let me tell you why the blunt ones are the best ones.
- They will tell you the truth. Yes, even if it hurts. It’s never intended to be hurtful, but a blunt person has the highest values when it comes to ethics. Maintaining this level of truth ensures you know only the truth and nothing else. You may not like what you hear, but the best part of this honesty is nothing is festering underneath between the two of you.
- There are ZERO passive aggressive games. Given that many of your friends would likely tell you a lie about how they truly feel or make you feel insecure, your blunt friend is…well..blunt. They do not possess the ability to play passive aggressive games and understands that ain’t nobody got time for that.
- A blunt friend is willing to give you lessons on friendship and expression. They show you time and again that it is okay to stand up for what you believe. They typically do not care what others think and if we are really honest, they remind you of the golden rule…and sometimes, others don’t like it. If you can’t express yourself though, we have bigger issues, but that’s for another post.
- Blunt people are darn funny. If you have a blunt friend, you are most likely in stitches. If you have a night out with a blunt friend, rest assured, you will have an unforgettable night.
- Blunt people have high moral standards. There is often a misconception with blunt people, that they are crude in their manners and hence lack morals. Truth is, they appear to be blunt because they have an exact idea of what right and wrong is without forgetting the grey in between. Bluntness is a method to tackle the world’s dishonest ways. There, I said it.
- Your blunt friend will never indulge in shallow chat. One of the best perks of being friends with a blunt person is that they are always very direct in their approach. When you hear something coming from them, you can know without a doubt, it’s authentic. The best part? They never indulge in talking behind your back. They are deep souls and appreciate real conversation. Small talk is annoying.
- Blunt friendships are the purest. They are with you through the highs and lows, through thick and thin, or NOT. AT. ALL. They tend to support you through everything and never take you for granted.
And if you want more bluntness, check out You are a Badass. This no-nonsense manifesto is filled with blunt and sassy advice which will silence your inner critic and help you build a life worth of the kind of Facebook news feed that others envy. I know you considered purchasing it at the airport last trip.
Truth. It’s what it all boils down to. So the next time you encounter a blunt person, try to think of these 7 reasons. If you can handle the truth, you can handle this person. You won’t be sorry you took the time.
To my blunt sisters,